Level of funding: Up to £50,000
Duration of funding: Up to 12 months
Purpose: To support the development of innovative and original research ideas that will form the basis of a larger grant application to another funder, or pump-prime a new academic clinical collaboration
We are particularly supportive of researchers at the start of their independent career.
In your application for funding we’ll look for
- An original and important question
- Some preliminary data to develop
- Your track record as a researcher, relative to career stage and area of specialty
- The approach and feasibility of the proposed work
- Expected research outcomes
- Your plan for how the outcomes will lead to a larger grant in the future
Who can apply
You’ll need to hold a post at one of the following organisations:
- Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry at Queen Mary University of London
- Barts Health NHS Trust hospitals
- City, University of London School of Health Sciences (if a collaborative project with Barts Health NHS Trust hospital staff)
For the duration of the award, you must have an independent academic, clinical or research post and either:
- receive your salary from one of the organisations listed above, or
- hold a personal award or fellowship that provides your salary with no or only minimal research expenses.
You can apply with up to 3 co-applicants. They may be external to your organisation, but you’ll need to explain why their specific expertise is needed.
If you hold a Barts Charity Lectureship, you are eligible to apply for this scheme from the second year of your appointment.
Please note that you can only hold one Seed Grant for Research at a time and you are not eligible if you are employed as a postdoctoral researcher on another grant.
What we can fund
Please see the Barts Charity Grants cost policy for what types of cost can be requested.
How to apply
Stage 1: We recommend that you discuss the application with your Institute Director, Head of Department or Senior Leadership before applying
Stage 2: Complete the online application form
The application must be costed and agreed by the Queen Mary Joint Research Management Office (JRMO), or the School of Health Sciences Research Support Manager. Please contact the JRMO/Research Support Manager well in advance of the submission date to allow enough time to provide your costing.
Funding decision and review
- Your application will be checked by the Barts Charity team to ensure it is eligible and within the scheme’s remit
- Applications will then be assessed by our Scientific Review Panel
- We aim to let you know the outcome of your application within 10 weeks of the deadline
We consider applications for this scheme four times a year. The next application deadlines are at 5pm on the following dates:
- 30 October 2020
- 5 February 2021