Please structure this section following the headings above.
1. Background, rationale, context or need
Describe the background to the project and how the need for intervention in this area has arisen. In this section please provide the evidence base/justification for the proposal, including the current state of the field/area. It is important to include details of any preliminary work (published or unpublished) that has led up to this proposal. Include citations, where appropriate, to the literature as well as your own work (including to figures/data uploaded as additional information).
2. Key aims and objectives
Describe the key research questions/hypothesis that you will address through this work and indicate how this work will lead to progress in the field.
3. Project plan
Clearly explain how you will address your project’s aims/objectives. Your project plan should give a clear indication of the intended chapters of your thesis.
Provide enough information to demonstrate why you consider your approach is likely to be successful, including details of any relevant contingency plans. Include, as appropriate:
- justification for the choice of (qualitative/quantitative/mixed)
methodology/ies and detail how they will be used/applied to address your questions/hypothesis
- details of any validation already undertaken or rationale for using the selected protocols
- the proposed sample size (including power calculations) and/or details of (statistical) analysis plans. Where you have received input from an expert statistician, please include their details.
- method(s) for sample selection
- potential risks and associated mitigation plans
- details of any milestones.
If you are requesting support for project involving human participants, you must provide full details, including study design, in the 'Details of studies involving human participants' section of the form.
If you are requesting support for research involving animals protected by the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act, 1986 (ASPA), you must provide full details in the ‘Research involving animals’ section of the form.
4. Expected outcomes/outputs/benefits
Outline the key outcomes/outputs/benefits that are expected to arise from this project.
5. Training and support
Describe the training that you will need to successfully complete the Fellowship and support your career development. You should include details of:
- plans to acquire the broad range of skills required to complete a PhD (e.g. clinical, academic, patient/public engagement and involvement skills etc)
- how this training will be delivered (e.g. will you attend a course or will a mentor provide direct training)
- where training or mentorship will be provided by a specific person, please state their name and expertise.