We’re dedicated to
Reducing rates of heart disease in our community and developing new approaches for patients in the hospitals we support and worldwide.
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) affects thousands of people in East London. We’re helping Barts Heart Centre deliver outstanding care to our communities, ensuring they’re among the first to benefit from innovations in cardiac medicine.
The difference we’re making
- Funding towards the creation of the world-class Barts Heart Centre at St Bartholomew’s
- Saving lives through research into new approaches for heart patients
- Helping our local population access the highest quality care, through the combination of the best medical staff and best equipment all under one roof
Funding extraordinary healthcare
Patients and staff are already benefitting from equipment funded by Barts Charity, including two MRI scanners at the Barts Heart Centre.
Our £10.2m funding focuses on five key areas:
- Barts Clinical Trials Unit – enabling the Centre to support an extensive portfolio of trials
- Medical devices – specialising in medical devices for heart patients, such as electrocardiogram (ECG) “jackets” for monitoring electrical activity in the heart
- Drug treatments – new research into the heart-protective properties of inorganic nitrates – what’s thought to be responsible for the beneficial effects of green leafy vegetables
- Genomic medicine – aiming to identify the genetic causes of rare cardiac abnormalities
- Patient-generated data – developing a major new resource to support crucial research
- Setting up the largest cardio-oncology service in the UK and one of the top 10 in the whole world