This scheme is now closed. Please see our new Advancing Healthcare Grants scheme for details of current funding opportunities.
Level of funding: £50,000 – £500,000
Duration of funding: Up to 3 years
Purpose: To support great ideas to develop and introduce pioneering innovation focused on delivering even better healthcare at Barts Health hospitals. Ideas should be aligned with hospital strategies and long-term plans.
We’re interested in funding projects that can make a positive and long-lasting change at Barts Health NHS Trust hospitals and have the potential to impact the wider healthcare sector.
In your application for a grant, we’ll look for:
- The benefit to patients and/or staff
- A clear plan to make your project happen
- Originality, innovation and inventiveness
- Plans and commitment to making the project sustainable beyond Barts Charity funding and/or lead to a lasting change
- Plans to monitor and evaluate the impact of your project and share your findings and outcomes (both locally and in the wider healthcare sector, if appropriate)
- Why the project should be supported by charitable funds
- How your idea aligns with the hospital’s plans
- Support from the appropriate boards at your hospital
Who can apply
If you are employed by Barts Health NHS Trust (and will be for the duration of the grant), you can apply for funding as the Lead applicant.
You can apply with up to 3 co-applicants. They may be external to the Barts Health NHS Trust, but you’ll need to explain why their specific expertise is needed. The focus of the project must be the Barts Health NHS Trust hospitals.
What we can fund
Please see the Barts Charity grants cost policy for what types of cost can be requested.
How to apply
Our Funding and Impact team are here to work with you and can offer advice and support. We encourage you to contact us before you submit a preliminary application.
Stage 1: Preliminary Application
You’ll need to complete a preliminary application form using the link below.
Your application will be assessed for its suitability for the scheme by our Grants Committee.
If your preliminary application is successful, we will invite you to submit a full application. We aim to let you know the outcome of your preliminary application within 10 weeks of the deadline.
Stage 2: Full Application
If you are invited to submit a full application, we’ll email you a link to our online application form.
All full applications must:
- be fully costed and agreed by the relevant Barts Health NHS Trust Finance Office
- include a completed endorsement form
- include a letter of support from your Head of Department, Clinical Board, Hospital Board or Senior Leadership, as appropriate.
We have two calls for Healthcare Innovation Grants a year:
|Preliminary application deadline||Full application deadline||Committee meeting|
|8 April 2021||1 July 2021||Autumn 2021|
|18 June 2021||22 October 2021||Spring 2022|
|10 May 2022||21 July 2022||Autumn 2022|
|30 June 2022||20 October 2022||Spring 2023|
Funding decision and review
The Barts Charity Grants Committee makes the funding decision on Healthcare Delivery Innovation applications. The Grants Committee are supported by assessment and recommendations from external peer-review. You will have an opportunity to provide a rebuttal to external peer-review comments on your application before Grants Committee consideration.