Barts Health Centre treats over 1,400 patients each year – more than any other centre in the UK. The centre services the entire population within the M25 following road traffic accidents, falls, assault and injuries from gun and knife crime. One in four of these patients have suffered severe trauma. Officially designated as a major trauma centre in July 2009, the Trauma Centre is now the hub for the largest network of trauma hospitals in the UK.
The team has pioneered and refined the delivery of trauma care by implementing a ‘poly-trauma’ model. A multi-disciplinary team of consultants is assigned to each patient, ensuring that each injury is treated in the most effective and efficient way. On average, patients now have a 38% greater chance of surviving major trauma here than in other UK hospitals.
- Treat over 1,400 patients every year
- 38% greater chance of surviving major trauma compared to national average
- Home to London’s only Air Ambulance
- Designated hub for largest network of trauma hospitals in the UK
- 77% increase in stab related injuries and 60% increase in gunshot wounds treated in the last year alone